Ringing the bell! πŸ””




I haven’t written a blog post for a while so wanted to share some exciting updates. A couple weeks ago, our family celebrated a greatly anticipated milestone called a bell-ringing ceremony which marked my dear niece Tabitha’s completion of treatment for her leukemia! It was a long two year battle which often felt like a bad dream. Tabby is a true fighter and couldn’t be more proud of her as well as her family. πŸ’ͺ


During the ceremony, her doctor shared a heartwarming tribute to Tabby’s courage and perseverance. And after Tabby rang the bell to the roar of cheers from our family and the staff, there was an image that will forever be etched in my memory… that is of Tabby and my brother Dan embracing each other in tears as the flood of emotions overwhelmed them. I started getting teary-eyed even as we just drove to the hospital that day, so I can only imagine how it must have felt to stand there ringing the bell in the place where they had endured so many difficult days and nights, filled with countless needle sticks, bone marrow biopsies, and lumbar punctures … truly a battle well-fought and the reminder of the frailty of life and what really matters in life.



I’m thankful that I was able to battle leukemia alongside my niece… for I hoped that knowing her uncle understood what she was going through brought her some sort of encouragement as she fought and that she was not alone in her suffering. I always said that my battle with cancer was nothing compared to hers as I’m a grown man. But for a child to endure what she did is remarkable. So thankful for the amazing staff at Johns Hopkins and God’s faithfulness throughout these past few years. Words cannot express how much your loving support and prayers meant to us. Thank you.





I recently also celebrated another milestone which was my “re-birthday”… 2 years-old haha! πŸŽ‚ My oncologist has recommended I discontinue my targeted therapy for my positive Philadelphia chromosome. Originally, I was supposed to take this treatment for five years but my oncologist feels that it would be best to stop it at this time considering its cytotoxic side-effects… and she is hopeful that my blood counts and fatigue would improve as a result. Honestly, this is another step of faith for my family and I as we know that this life-saving medicine has helped me achieve and remain in remission. Just a few decades ago, my diagnosis was a certain death sentence. Yet through the discovery of this new drug, many lives have been saved… including mine. So again, we take this step trusting in the wisdom of my amazing medical team and the Great Physician who ultimately has my life in His good hands. 


On this 2nd anniversary of my transplant, I’m especially thankful to my dear cousin Bo who gave of himself as my donor to afford me another chance at this life. And I’m forever grateful to all of you who’ve walked alongside my family and I on this road we never thought we’d have to endure. πŸ˜Œ


Hope you all are hanging in there in your respective battles as well. Though the daily news reminds us of the struggles of war, tragic gun violence, and ongoing pandemic, not to mention dear friends and family dealing with illnesses and death, may we choose to be thankful for each new day of life and cherish the simple joys which we often take for granted. 


Some of you might remember this video that my kids made a few years ago during the height of covid when we were looking for a transplant donor for me:


https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=RWoJYzs5_cM



Though I may never know of all the folks whose lives were saved, I hope that through this “virtual” donor drive, many more folks in need of a life-saving bone marrow transplant would be able to find a match in the future. For example, through this drive, one of my best friends recently was notified that he was a donor match so he was able to give of himself to help save a person’s life as well. Thank you to all of you for spreading the word and who got tested yourselves. 


I continue to struggle with some residual effects from my treatment and transplant which has taken a toll on my body. Yet as a dear mentor friend shared with me (who is a 7-year survivor of leukemia), it is a small price tag to pay. For as my daughter hoped for in the video, as a result of my transplant, I’ve been able to be around to witness my daughter recently graduate from high school (and help her move into her college dorm room soon! πŸ˜­), teach both my daughters how to drive, and Lord-willing enjoy many more memories in the time to come. I’m so thankful for each of these opportunities.




Last month, I, along with two of my kids Joy and Christian, had the privilege of volunteering at an exciting camp called Joni and Friends Family Retreat. It’s a fun-filled week designed for kids and families affected by disability. 


Some of you may have been inspired by Joni Eareckson Tada’s books or talks. I had the pleasure of meeting Joni about twenty years ago. She has such a huge heart for those affected by disabilities… if you weren’t aware, she herself suffered a spinal cord injury as a teenager leaving her paralyzed from the neck down, as well as endured two bouts of cancer in the recent years!  A truly amazing fighter and woman of faith.


Anyway, Joni and Friends holds family retreats all around the world, and we were able to serve at one of them held nearby in the Poconos. It was an amazing and humbling experience for myself and my kids.


Here is a link of an update my kids and I shared a few weeks ago at my church after we came back, including a short video (starting at minute 23:50):


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8nkj-NEEMPQ&t=1977s



It’s ironic that in my current condition, God opened up this door to serve in this capacity with families affected by disability. I’m so thankful for this special opportunity (and the strength! πŸ˜…) God gave me to serve especially alongside my kids. It was a joy to reconnect with my buddy Fred and his dear family last week at a nearby park!!






Comments

  1. Wonderful update and news. Your niece and you have such courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising God for you and Tabby. Your story is encouraging us all walking through various challenges of this life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful news, both you and Tabitha have endured an extremely difficult season. And you have been faithful as He has been faithful. So glad to hear this, praise Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this compelling story of resilience in the face of adversity. You and your family are a real inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you’re doing g well. I was just asking about you. May God continue to strengthen you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”