Thoughts on suffering

I eluded to some in my previous blogs, but this short journey has already taught me some significant lessons on suffering. Here are some and I pray that it’d encourage those of you going through similar trials. As apostle Paul says in 1 Timothy 6:12, let’s keep fighting the good fight of faith. 

I mentioned previously that we are ALL not immune to suffering, hardships, and trials in this life. I’ve heard somewhere that either we are going through it, have gone through it, or will go through suffering in the time to come. And for when that time comes, may we be found faithful. I don’t know what lies ahead, but I know that God knows. And He loves me. 

Many of what I write below I owe to a book on suffering written by Paul Tripp which I read (or rather listened to haha πŸ˜‰) during the wee hours of the night while in the hospital. And many of the lessons I’ve seen lived out I owe to you, my dear friends and family. You have been God’s loving mouthpieces, hands, and feet to me and my family. For these, I’ll be forever grateful. Here goes:

  • One fatal conclusion is when we stop believing that God is good. Cause then we’ll cease listening to what He says and going to him for help cause nobody will go to someone we do not trust. Doubt in the middle of suffering has potential to change your life, but not for the good. There are 2 types of doubt: 
  1. Doubt of Wonderment (Good):  often expressed in the psalms. Will drive us TO God
  2. Doubt of Judgement (Bad):  concluding that God is unjust, not with us, not good. Sowing seeds of this kind of doubt is trap of the enemy. Will drive us AWAY from God. 

  • In 1 Peter 5:9, he exhorts us to “Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.”
  • What has my suffering done to my theology? 
  • Peter understands that holding onto childlike faith in God’s goodness is essential in facing this spiritual battle of suffering. He knew the core attack in suffering is not in our body but in our hearts. To protect our spiritual lives and faith which is of utmost!
  • Paul Tripp reminds us to “Get busy!” in suffering for “Godward gospel-centered business is a good defense to debilitating doubt.” This is one of the reasons I am blogging πŸ˜‰ and it’s turned out to be a joy of mine to do as I recount God’s goodness and love in my life and am able to share it with others. 

  • I’ve shared this before but “suffering reminds us that our lives are meant to be a community project” (hence this blog πŸ€ž).  This has been one of the most significant lessons for me as I’ve learned to allow others to enter this journey and humbly accept help in so many ways in which I may have declined in the past due to self-reliance or pride. This has been so liberating. I’ve shared this with many other folks going through difficult times as well. 

  • On a similar vane, the apostle Paul confesses to discouragement and despair of heart. Unfortunately, this is often not shared by sufferers. 
  • The confession of hopelessness robs shame of its power and frees us.
  • It open the doorway to help of others, so they can incarnate God’s presence, grace, and provision.  
  • This has been one of the most significant lessons I’ve experienced from God and from your love as I’ve learned to share my struggles.

  • Seek wise counsel during suffering: those who can provide clarity of advice, guidance, and direction 
  • In addition to reading a few good books on suffering which have brought helpful perspective and spoke truth into my heart, I’ve asked a few dear friends to personally walk alongside me life-on-life in this role of counsel. I covet their wisdom and heart for me and my well-being.

  • Lastly, Paul Tripp wrote about the reason why he wrote his book on suffering (as he went through great suffering of his own in the recent years!) He says: “The one thing that will bring joy, peace, and lasting satisfaction to our heart is Jesus Himself. His presence, power, and grace changes everything. Hope is a person and His name is Jesus. Our God Emmanuel. And no one or nothing can take This away. (Psalm 139:7-18)”
  • This has given me great hope and I hope you as well. 

Another book I read on suffering was written by David Powlison who recently passed away from a battle with pancreatic cancer. He was a professor and counselor. I encourage you to check out this link In Loving Memory of David Powlison | Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation  especially a conversation with his best friend of over 50 years which he recorded soon before his passing. Very touching and honest reflections on genuine faith and friendship. 

Thanks for listening and reading. Love you all! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””