Fever

This most recent chemo course (Cycle B) has been difficult especially with fevers as was expected. Unfortunately, I had to be admitted to HUP this past week for several days as the docs did various infection work-ups to find a source of the fevers but to no avail. 

This was probably the most disheartening time in the hospital I’ve had as it started with going to the ER at 1am on a Friday night.  I was literally dragging my feet not wanting to go but knew I had to as I was severely neutropenic at the time (thanks to Grace for pulling me out of bed, driving me, and staying with me in the wee hours.) In the ER, I was poked and prodded with various swabs, blood cultures, and other tests (which all came back negative). That was a long and unpleasant night. After a day in the ER, a room thankfully opened up. 



I was started on some IV antibiotics. But as my fevers continued, I received more tests including a CT scan of my chest/pelvis/abdomen as well as a cardiac echo to rule out possible sources of infection. As these were all negative as well, I was eventually discharged home as my blood levels have since gone back up (no longer neutropenic) despite my ongoing fevers with no source identified. My oncologist is blaming the fevers on my Neulasta med I had received a few weeks ago to boost my blood levels unless there’s any infection brewing that they just couldn’t find. Hopefully not. 

This recent hospital admission was different than previous ones as I was just so drained most of the time and I felt glued to my bed due to the fevers. I might have taken several walks the whole time in the hospital. It has been strange as my fevers seem to spike at nights in particular and then break during the daytime. This has been the case even since I’ve been at home. 

The good news is that since my levels have gone back up, my mouth sores have healed (so I could eat) πŸ˜‹ and I should hopefully be feeling better soon overall. 



I followed up the other day with my nurse practitioner Joanna and had another bone marrow biopsy.πŸ˜–The plan is to follow-up with my oncologist Dr. Perl next Thursday and review the results of the biopsy and then potentially be admitted for another round of chemo (Cycle A again) pending fevers resolved and I’m feeling better. Also, they are still hoping to proceed with the bone marrow/stem cell transplant sooner than later and are in discussion/coordinating with the transplant team. But until then, they wanted to do more chemo in the mean time. 

Please keep in prayer and also for my spirit not to grow weary. Appreciate all of your support. Even though I’ve been unable to respond to every text, email, message, please know that I’ve read/listened to them all and have been encouraged by each and every word you’ve shared. I’ve pasted one timely message that particularly encouraged me  to keep fighting while I was in the hospital this past week:

Hi Joe, 
I keep meaning to write this email and then always get distracted and I have too much to say for a quick text.  I hope your treatment is going well and you are getting all the support and help you need.   I wanted let you know that our family is thinking of you and relying on you to crush your cancer.   I wanted to tell you that although the treatments are painful it is a necessary pain that you can endure and the cancer cannot.  You have so much to live for and that will always make you stronger than the cancer.  It is a battle but please remember that you are stronger than the disease and have so many people on your side (family, friends, oncologists and nurses).    Remember that the pain has a purpose and when you win the struggle will all be worth it.

Please don't hesitate if you and your family need anything from us.  We can take the kids, wash dishes, whatever you need.  


This email brought me to tears as it reminded me of what I’m fighting for as well as the overwhelming support of family and friends and of my faithful God who’s provided all of this in His love.  





Continuing to fight and press on day by day with the strength He provides! πŸ’ͺπŸ™

Exfoliation spa session with Chloe!!πŸ’†‍♂️

Comments

  1. Stay strong!! πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe u are a true warrior fighting this cancer w all faith and long suffering and not giving up. Your whole family fighting along side you. I am pretty awed. May our Lord daily momently protect and strengthen you. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you are going through this, Joe! I hope and pray the Lord continue to give you strength and encouragement as you fight the fight of your life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””