Deep thoughts (at least for me) πŸ€”

A few weeks ago, a veteran missionary couple had shared this song to encourage young missionaries going out to various countries to remind them that God goes before them even in these uncertain times impacting our world. It spoke to my heart as I go through this journey of cancer with obstacles and uncertainties as well and wanted to share with you:


Recently, God has been teaching me about surrendering my will and idea of what a “good life” entails. I’ve heard somewhere that whatever can be lost in this life is not worth ultimately living for. And I feel this has been reinforced by the daily reminder of the frailty of life coupled with the uncertainty we’re all facing everyday with this corona pandemic affecting all spheres of life whether it be our health, jobs, or family. There has been an upheaval of the normalcy of life as we always knew it that has made an indelible mark on our lives and future.

It’s not that things in this life, or even life itself, are not good but just not to be seen as ultimate or our end-all source of contentment and meaning. If we ask them to, then our hearts will often be frustrated and discouraged. And when they are lost, it will devastate us. Though that goes against our grain... health, marriage, children, happiness, possessions, or anything in this world are not meant to be our source of fulfillment, hope, or ultimate satisfaction as they will never deliver. 

There is a missionary, Jim Elliot, who lost his life many years ago while attempting to share the Gospel with an unreached tribe of Auca Indians in the jungles of Ecuador. His legacy lived on through his wife and daughter who later went to live with the tribe (who speared her husband to death) and loved them. And many later came to know the Lord. Jim Elliot had said these poignant and wise words that I’ve always remembered: “He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.”

Though I’m sure it broke Jim Elliot’s heart as a husband and a father to a young daughter as he counted the cost, he didn’t lose his life without reason, for he knew what He already had received in Christ. Doesn’t make sense from a worldly perspective, but I guess that’s the point... having an eternal perspective. He knew that we cannot keep this earthly life, but we cannot lose eternal life in Christ. So, we are not fools for giving up this one. 

In the same vane, in I Corinthians 7:30-31, the Apostle Paul encourages “those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods, and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away.” Sobering perspective but one that God has been reminding my heart these days... and I’ve been encouraged as I’m reminded of my heavenly home which allows me to live this life with hands holding not so tightly on things that are fleeting but giving myself to things that will last forever. And as I learn to do so, I’m finding true joy and freedom in the process. ☺️

Though I so want to be cured from cancer, I’ve come to realize the depths of what I’ve already been healed from and what has been secured for me eternally through Christ’s sacrifice for me. And that assurance gives me hope and purpose to live each day God gives me with a different perspective, an eternal one, with the strength that He provides. To love Him and to love others with the love He provides. For He has promised to provide all that we need to live this out. 

He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things?
‭‭(Romans‬ ‭8:32‬)

Comments

  1. Amen!! Thanks for sharing Joe. These are deep and precious thoughts. Praying for you and the family, and that you will continue to be His salt and light in this battle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the journey for all of us I guess and even about the smallest things I kick and scream and tantrum... Your testimony and faith amaze and humble me....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””