No one fights alone

As I’ve gone for strolls in my neighborhood, I’ve seen many encouraging signs such as these. Solidarity as we stand together strong as a loving community. During these tough times for us all, it’s encouraging to know that we are not alone! 




So fitting with a toilet in the background πŸ˜‰... 🚽 my
familiar friend “John” during these chemo days! 


Thank you so much for your prayers and reaching out esp. after we heard the heartbreaking news of my niece Tabitha’s leukemia diagnosis as well as my transplant detour. I’ve been struggling with disbelief with all these recent setbacks and obstacles. Questions fill my minds of why?? And what more God?? But I have to say, at those low moments even when I don’t have the will to even get out of bed to face the day, God continues to give grace to press on in faith... often through a song or a timely word of encouragement. Recently, I’ve been singing a song from Hosea 6:1-3. A reminder that just as the sun rises and rains fall, He is faithful to come...to revive, to restore...His favor on us.

"Come, let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds. After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence. Let us acknowledge the Lord; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.”
‭‭(Hosea‬ ‭6:1-3‬)

Tabby has been tolerating her chemo well with minimal side-effects up til now but just hates taking her meds! 🀐. But she’s been a fighter through it all and her parents are doing a great job as well. Please keep in prayer as her blood tests from today’s infusion appt showed some very high glucose levels so she’s getting admitted today for further testing and monitoring. πŸ™

Everything going on with Tabby and me is so hard to understand and maybe I never will in this life. But I was reminded of Jesus crying out to His Father in the garden if this cup (of suffering) could be taken from Him... but then submitting to His will cause He knew it was good. And then again crying out in agony on the cross of why His Father has forsaken Him... while knowing that God loves Him more than anyone. I see a glimpse of the Father's heart breaking in the midst of His beloved Son crying out. This encouraged me as I struggle with these feelings and try to make sense of things recently.  Again, maybe I’m not meant to understand... at least at this time. Yet still, my Lord hears my cries, sees each tear that falls, and sympathizes with me. He knows suffering and heartbreak, but also eventual glory through it all. Guess it's a matter of perspective. 

And this recent and timely devotional from Psalms spoke to my heart and what I’ve been feeling:




A lot has happened recently. I sent in my sample saliva genetic test the other day. Apparently, the chance of finding a genetic component may be slim as some mutations are pretty rare. Either way, it usually takes a month to get results back but they are expediting the test to get it done in a few weeks as they’re aware of the implications on my transplant. We’re still waiting to hear back if and when the transplant coordinator gets in touch with the potential donor match out there. Please keep in prayer. πŸ™Apparently, the potential donor is most likely living in the US as the donor registry is limited to folks in the US and Europe. If this person does not work out for whatever reason, then my transplant doc is considering proceeding with a mismatched unrelated donor as she has had good outcomes with this as well, though the treatment changes a bit with chemo post-transplant. Apparently, reaching out to the international registry (e.g. to find someone in Asia) is not an easy task. It’s still hard to swallow that my brother who is a 100% match, will not be my donor. But, trusting the Lord to pave a way and guide this process in light of this detour.


And last week, I got a call that my home nurse had tested positive for Corona. Poor nurse on the frontlines. So I had to be extra careful for a while around my family (the other way around!) as I watched for symptoms. 

As a result, my oncologist wanted to postpone my next round of chemo as I got tested for Corona esp. before I began treatment as it would have been really bad if I got sick when neutropenic. I had 2 tests since which both came back negative thankfully. 

“Drive-through” Covid test at Perelman

As you can imagine, this was a very difficult situation as the home care company was calling everyone the nurse has been in contact with... including many immunocompromised and elderly folks at home. Though I’m not that strong, I’m at least “relatively” younger. 

I had a chance to reach out to my nurse and she’s hanging in there with no respiratory symptoms thankfully. She was glad to hear from me as she had been worried understandably and praying that she hadn’t gotten anyone sick. The amazing heart of a nurse, always thinking about the welfare of her patients. Reminder to keep our healthcare workers in prayer for protection as they care for patients during this season. 

With this detour diverted, I was cleared to start my next round of chemo today... at home with IV pole and all! 


Chemo hanging... while hanging with my boys, Christian and Toby! πŸ°

Here’s a short video of my set-up. It’s so nice to be in the comfort of my home with my family around me. Nurses will be coming twice a day in the early morning and late at night (to give chemo 12 hours apart) for several days. I have a little IV pole and also a pouch (kind of like a big fanny packπŸ˜‰) so I can get around with my chemo! 

Even able to enjoy bike ride today with Joy... something I definitely couldn’t do in hospital!! 🚴‍♂️


Grace’s 93 y/o grandma is hanging in there. We are continuing to pray for miraculous healing Lord-willing and comfort and peace as she battles through Corona. She is an amazingly strong woman. 

My grandma (also 93 y/o!) got transferred to a nursing home closer to my mom and has 2 Asian roommates as well as a Korean nurse! She has a TV with Korean channels. And thankfully, Asian food is on the menu!  πŸ˜‹ My mom said she looks great... apparently a therapist at the previous nursing home had been bringing her kimchi and other food she likes from home. So thankful for God’s faithful provision while she was not allowed any visitors there. πŸ˜Œ πŸ™


Other recent happenings...

Enjoyed virtual happy hour with coworkers (prom dress was optional!) 🀣




Got some chick eggs from a farm... they should be hatching next week!! πŸ£πŸ₯ Kids already named each one of them! 





Grace surprised us recently with this amazing treat as she found a Pizza Hut nearby the farm... they are hard to come by these days!! One good thing about my transplant being postponed is I have more time to enjoy take-out food like this! πŸ˜‹



Not sure who wrote this sweet message on our sidewalk... but thank you!! πŸ˜˜

On that note, though we haven’t been able to respond to all of you, please know how much we appreciate all of your kind thoughts, calls, texts, emails, cards, and even songs! πŸ˜² We read and cherish each and every one and they strengthen and bring a smile to our hearts as we press on day by day. πŸ§‘


Comments

  1. It's so humbling to see such great smiles on your faces in the midst of the storm you are facing. May the Lord continue to make His face shine upon you...we are praying for you and Tabby daily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””