Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Not very “gown-friendly” 🙅🏻

This IV pole has often been the bane of my existence while in the hospital. I’ve never used that term before but needed to stretch my vocabulary that much to find something that expresses my dread of it. For it’s often felt like a literal ball and chain stuck to my side, as I drag it along wherever I go. And it lets me know (painfully) when I forget it’s there like in the middle of the night when having to rush to the bathroom... OUCH! And, it reminds me of my weakness, my disability, and ultimately my cancer. 

One day I was cold so I reached for a hoodie but I forgot about my IV pole. Btw, that’s why all my pictures in the hospital usually are with a T-shirt on! This IV pole is a pain but just like many other things I’ve gotten used to in this battle, it’s a necessary evil as it holds the bags of medicine and fluids that my body needs to fight. So maybe a better more helpful perspective might be to see it as my body armor... heavy and cumbersome as it may be. So with that, next time nature calls, I’ll get up to grab my armor and keep fighting! 🦾⚔️🛡

Comments

  1. Hi Joe, just want to let you know we continue to think about you and pray for you. Keep looking up!
    Trent Koehn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Joe... I pray you will be free of it as soon as possible! And enjoy putting on and taking off hoodies without pole hindrance for the rest of your life!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! 💪

Ringing the bell! 🔔