Week 5 update

This past week in the hospital has been marked by unrelenting fevers, stomach issues, and the development of a mean rash on my body. Thankfully, the rash has not been itchy or painful other than on my face and neck, but that has unfortunately been pretty bad. It has been particularly aggravating the past several days despite anti-itch meds, topical creams, and ice packs. Truly a test of my patience! πŸ˜“


All of this along with some elevated liver tests seemed to point to me having "engraftment syndrome", meaning my body is just proliferating cells so much. My doc said it's not a common condition but not a bad thing from a cancer perspective. But it's taken a toll on my body and I’m pretty deconditioned as a result. It’s been a while since I’ve stepped outside of my room. I’m on steroids now to treat the engraftment syndrome which has helped but I have a ways to go. πŸ’ͺ 


They said that engraftment syndrome can often lead to graft vs. host disease (GVHD). So likewise, a little bit of GVHD is not a bad thing from a cancer perspective, but please pray that the symptoms would be minimal and that my current engraftment syndrome would resolve quickly esp. my rash! πŸ™


Through this ordeal, God has recently been teaching Grace and I about waiting on Him, being content in weakness including weeping, and the gift of laughter. All so important in the healing process. Thankful for His grace in the midst of our suffering and longings. May God show us all His sufficient grace and wisdom as we navigate these uncertain times esp. with covid. Though it seems like nobody knows what lies ahead and things are not happening according to our desired timetable, we can trust that God’s sovereign and wise timing is best. “Our eternal God sees all of history in a single moment.”


Hopefully, I can go home this week if all of the above stabilizes. But learning to hold onto discharge lightly with open hands. Though I don't want to be here, I'm thankful that I could be under the good care of the amazing staff here to treat all of this instead of this all having happened when I got home!

Comments

  1. Joe, thanks so much for keeping us updated. Praying for you and your family and others you've introduced us to these past months. Blessings friend, Cheryl Isaiah 40:31

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””