Loving sacrifice

On the anniversary of that fateful day which we’ll never forget, we’re reminded of the frailty of human life as well as the power of love and sacrifice. Many fighters, both first responders as well as civilian folks, courageously gave of their lives and left a legacy. 

We’ve all heard of stories like that of “the man with the red bandana”, Welles Crowther, an equities trader and volunteer firefighter who worked in the World Trade Center. Known for saving as many as 18 lives during the 9/11 attacks, he lost his own life as he tended to the wounded, helped put out fires, and guided people to safety including carrying some on his own back down many flights of stairs... only to go back up. Crowther's body was eventually found alongside several firefighters and emergency workers bunched in a suspected command post in the South Tower lobby, having willingly sacrificed his life while aiding the rescue effort when the building collapsed.


As our kids now learn about 9/11 in their social studies classes, I wonder what will be written about this unprecedented season of covid in future history books (or rather online resources!) How will we have responded and lived in light of all the uncertainty and devastation we’re experiencing as a people, nation, and world? This is a question that is still yet to be answered, but it’s humbling to consider that we are living in the middle of such a unique time in history right now. In addition to this pandemic, we’re vividly reminded of the ongoing issues of racial and social injustice that still plague our nation. And to top it off, we’re preparing for our elections which will determine the course of so many things for the next 4+ years. 


In my journey with cancer, I also wonder how I will have lived in response to my world having been flipped upside down and then coming through on the other side having been afforded another chance at life through my recent transplant. Like after 9/11, when the world seemed to stand still, I hope and pray that I would heed similar lessons and appreciate the preciousness of life. To be less bothered by trivial matters. To understand suffering more deeply. And to love others well in the midst. 


This literally hits home as well. On top of covid, my cancer has made for quite a different year. Because of my immunocompromised status, my family esp. my kids have foregone many invitations from friends for get-togethers and chosen not to participate in some of their usual activities such as team sports, activities, and potential in-person school. It’s been hard for me to swallow but I’ve also been touched by their joyful sacrifice, cause they’ve done so not begrudgingly but rather willingly for my sake... out of love for their dad. I’m a lucky dad and husband to have such a family. πŸ˜Œ


Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

‭‭(John‬ ‭15:13‬)


By this we know love, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

‭‭(1 John‬ ‭3:16‬)


Virtual class on Zoom!



We enjoyed the gorgeous weather this past Labor Day weekend! πŸŒž 



Comments

  1. What an amazing family you have Joe. 😭😭

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I'm hearing about Crowther. Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful family with beautiful hearts. I think it's a reflection not only of how much they love you but how well you have loved them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””