Wise counsel

It’s been a while since I’ve last wrote a blog post. Thankfully, things have been pretty uneventful these past few weeks esp. health-wise which has been a welcome change of pace. I’m looking forward to my 100 day mark post-transplant mainly cause I’ll be allowed to eat take-out food again. πŸ˜œ But also on this day, I’ll be discontinuing yet a few more meds as my new baby immune system steadily gains strength. My doc has been trying to steadily wean me from my many meds as time goes on. I took my last dose of steroids the other day. Unfortunately, this has resulted in some increased fatigue and decreased appetite which is expected, but should hopefully improve in a few months. Overall though, I’ve been continuing to gain strength and endurance every week. I was even able to start jogging recently during my neighborhood strolls... but just for very short bouts at a time! πŸšΆ‍♂️πŸƒ‍♂️🚢‍♂️ Though these are small steps (literally!), I’m thankful to have come a long way esp. since my time in the hospital when I could barely get out of bed.


What a beautiful day to go for a bike ride this morning! πŸš΄‍♂️🌞 It was my first time since my transplant... wiped me out, but great exercise! πŸ˜…



As mentioned in my last blog post, I’ve since had an opportunity over the past few weeks to talk with some dear friends who have provided wise counsel to help me process things. A new friend whom I had the privilege to meet (virtually via Zoom!) was Alec Hill, the author of the book “Living in Bonus Time”.  I told him how much his book had impacted me. He was so kind and generous, even extending an invitation to reach out to him whenever I wanted to in the future saying that he would “drop everything for me”. And he expressed the same gracious gesture for Grace through his wife Mary, understanding the different struggles we’ve been through and desiring to stand with us as we navigate things in the time to come. That meant so much to us. πŸ˜Œ


Likewise, I hope that I could also extend the same love and support to others going through cancer and various setbacks life brings. Alec reminded me that it is a “sacred calling” which we’ve received through what we’ve been through, as God has shown grace to extend our lives for some reason. He has said that “living in bonus time is both a gift and a responsibility.”


As Alec listened to me, he encouraged me to take it slow and heed this gift of time as I heal and recover. He encouraged me to assume a “learning” posture, not a “doing” posture, as this is a redeeming time. This was helpful for me to hear as I tend to associate my identity and contentment with what I accomplish in a given day. Instead, Alec gave me a good image to assume the role of “a passenger on a boat”, to seek what God may be wanting to show and teach me during this season... this precious gift of time. 


In his book, Alec says that “as cancer survivors living in bonus time, we have been given a second chance not only to redefine our purpose in life but to steward our remaining days wisely.” He explains that one way in which we can grow in this manner is to savor and cherish the present moments in life whether it be for me a leisurely stroll with Grace on a nearby trail enjoying the beauty of nature, a warm conversation with a close friend, or a simple game of cards with one of my kids. Especially as I’ve been feeling better post-transplant, I’ve found that I tend to focus too much on the future often to the detriment of missing what is priceless in the present moment. For example, I’m reminded that during this crazy season of cancer and covid, our whole family is all home together... when does that happen?! This is a blessing and opportunity that I can easily miss and take for granted. 


On a lighter note, as I seek what other ways God has in store for me to “grow” during this time, I’ve been surprised by the recent growth of hair back on my head! πŸ‘¨‍🦲 It’s a visual reminder of the healing and recovery that is going on in my body. Yet, as I thought about my niece Tabitha, who has since lost all of her hair, I was tempted to shave mine off. But instead, I’ve decided to let it grow to hopefully encourage her that we will indeed beat this cancer and that healing and a sense of normalcy will come eventually for her as well. Please keep Tabby in prayer as she continues to valiantly fight this horrible disease. πŸ’ͺπŸ™



Can’t wait for 100 days (just one week away!) πŸ˜‹

Comments

  1. So good to hear you about your recovery progress Joe. Praying for Tabitha as well. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to be able to meet with and speak to Alec! Continuing to pray for you, Joe- thankful for these updates. Will also be praying for Tabitha and your families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just wondering when you can start eating take-out food! Don't overdo it, Joe! You don't want to go into shock with all the sodium and fat. ;-)

    What a wise mentor you have. I totally know what you mean by looking toward the future instead of enjoying the present moment. Of course we need to plan for the future, but there is something so beautiful and content about enjoying the moment we were given. Really appreciate you sharing your journey and lessons that God is teaching you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””