Unprecedented times

2020 has been such a unique and crazy year for us all. As our elections take place, our nation is sadly in upheaval and divided in many ways. We continue to struggle with racial inequality and injustice. In my own city of Philadelphia, we grieve another loss of life as Walter Wallace Jr was fatally shot by police and the resulting civil unrest. 

And Covid has impacted every aspect of our lives. Sadly, our loved ones have suffered or lost their lives due this pandemic. Our jobs and livelihood have been put in jeopardy esp. those in small businesses. Many of us who have been able to work have done so from home and our kids have been doing school on-line. Meetings and activities have been held virtually. And we are Zoomed out. πŸ₯Ί


Events such as concerts and sports were cancelled or postponed, not only on a local and national level, but all throughout the world including the 2020 Summer Olympics. The NBA was played in “a bubble”. The NFL creeps on week to week with changes in the schedule due to players and staff getting covid. And the Big Ten football season almost didn’t happen this year (though it just started a few weeks ago... go Penn State!!) Yet, our joy of watching sports is tempered with cautious fear and hope that everyone will stay safe and healthy. 


It’s been esp. hard not to be able to see friends let alone our extended family. We so long to gather with loved ones and friends in-person whether it be at our places of worship or simply inside our homes to enjoy a meal together. And now as the weather gets steadily colder, it’ll be more difficult to meet outside with folks. We’re also having to make tough decisions as the holidays approach on how we will spend them with family this year... or maybe not unfortunately. πŸ˜”


Since I got cancer and started chemo, I was only physically able to attend my church twice. The last time I was at church was in February to celebrate my pastor’s installation service (see pic below.) It’s strange when I think back to that time as I had been wearing a mask for months prior to prevent getting sick. But soon after that, almost everyone was wearing a mask. All of a sudden, cause of covid, everyone joined the world I had been living in cause of cancer!


At church service in February 2020 (before Covid lock-down), with only me wearing a mask. πŸ˜·


And this pandemic continues to take a toll on both patients as well as healthcare workers. Let’s continue to cover our front-line workers in prayer as they faithfully give of themselves week in week out, often putting themselves at risk. Last week I got a call that my home care nurse had tested positive for Covid. So all of the patients she had seen recently had to get tested including me. Thankfully I was negative and hopefully none of the other immunocompromised patients got it as well. I reached out to my nurse to check on her and thankfully she was feeling ok. But just a stark reminder of how this virus is still rampant and indiscriminate of who it infects. 


With all the changes and uncertainty this year, the only one I can hold onto is my God who is sovereign and unchanging. I find comfort in knowing that He is in control and in fact, has not been surprised by all of this chaos we’ve been going through. And He is attuned to and understands the pain of suffering and even death that has come upon us as a result. He truly knows suffering more than anyone for He endured it Himself to the point of being forsaken and dying for it. 


As we all navigate uncertainty and hardships during this unprecedented season and in the time to come, may we find comfort and rest in God’s sovereignty and loving wisdom. 





Last week I had another lumbar puncture (LP) with intrathecal chemo... 2nd of 4 post-transplant. These are needed monthly as apparently with my type of leukemia, there is a higher chance of recurrence in the fluid which feeds my brain and spinal cord. My last several LPs have been tough cause they hit a nerve going down my leg... I almost jumped off the table this last time! πŸ˜¬ I’m thankful that the results showed no leukemia. And my bone marrow biopsy from a few weeks ago still showed no leukemia as well! Also, the engraftment analysis showed that Bo's stem cells have engrafted in my marrow as well as my blood. Thanks for your prayers! πŸ™  



Enjoying the beautiful autumn foliage on a brisk hike. 


Overall, my endurance has been steadily improving, but I have been feeling a bit more fatigued recently. Not sure if it’s due to my recent tests or perhaps with some medication changes, but I’ve been relying on afternoon power naps again to keep me going. Learning to listen to my body! 





Joy recently (and finally!) got her permit and it’s been my “joy” to teach her how to drive. It’s a wish come true... one of many to come Lord-willing. Joy turned 16 last year but everything was delayed cause of my cancer and then covid! Our first lesson brought tears to our eyes as we thanked God for giving us this opportunity. πŸ˜­




Grace and I enjoyed celebrating our anniversary at a local eatery... outdoors! So thankful for the most amazing wife in the world. πŸ˜ Through all the ups and downs of this past year, she has faithfully stood by my side and cheered me on this road to recovery!

Comments

  1. What a sweet picture of you two on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a beautiful family! May the Lord continue to bless you and your family with many more memorable experiences!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””