Philadelphia chromosome



Along with my leukemia, I was diagnosed a year ago with a chromosomal mutation called the Philadelphia Chromosome (cause it was discovered in Philly!) This mutation was one of the main reasons I needed to get a transplant. Back in the day, being found to be Philadelphia Chromosome positive was bad news with a poor prognosis. But thankfully due to the discovery of a targeted chemotherapy (which I’ll actually continue to take for the next five or so years) on top of my transplant, we’re able to keep this at bay. 


My most recent genetic test from my bone marrow biopsy showed that the Philadelphia Chromosome was undetectable. Hallelujah!! πŸ€— 


We’re very thankful that I haven’t gotten sick with any viruses or infections this past year esp. as I’ve been immunocompromised. Recently though, blood tests revealed that a latent virus that I had (prior to cancer) was reactivated in my body, which is apparently common post-transplant due to being immunocompromised. Thankfully, it’s able to be treated with a new antiviral med. My doc said that this may have been a big reason why I’ve felt so fatigued and crummy this past month in addition to my steroids being weaned. 


I’ve also been struggling recently with an itchy facial rash and GI issues again which are probably GVHD related. So, not a bad thing from a cancer perspective but just annoying and a pain in the butt (no pun intended!) It’s a tricky balancing game with my meds as my providers try to manage my immunosuppression while also treating other things like this virus, as the various meds have different side-effects.



So thankful for my awesome providers... true frontline heroes! 🦸‍♀️ 


Christian overcome with joyful emotion as we celebrated his 13th bday... guess it’s pretty overwhelming to become a teenager!! πŸ˜œ

...Or just excited to get some cheese balls!! πŸ˜‹



Comments

  1. Oh Joe I’m glad to hear you’re doing well!!! I remember Jackie!!! My mom loved her. Please tell Jackie and Dr. Perl I said hello pleAse. Oddly, I miss them too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””