Wonder

This past month has been up and down with decreased energy cause of low hemoglobin as well as the return of some GVHD symptoms including rash and GI issues, but thankful nonetheless for continued progress all things considered. 





Yesterday I got my PICC line taken out of my right arm! After a year of being unable to really use my arm, what a long-awaited joy it is to now be able to throw a football, do a push-up, scoop hard ice-cream, take a normal shower without plastic wrapped around my arm, and eventually swim in the ocean again! πŸ’ͺπŸ€—


In his book “Living in Bonus Time”, Alec Hill shared about the concept of wonder. It’s been a humbling yet soul-enriching process to experience this recently. After a year of being on restrictions due to being immunocompromised (as we all can relate to in a sense cause of Covid), I hope I never take for granted again the wonder of things like holding a baby, giving a warm hug, or even a handshake. I can’t wait to see my extended family especially my aging grandmother. Oh how we long for these things again. This wonder has been one of cancer’s “gifts” to me as I learn to cherish things that I used to take for granted.


I also got my flu shot and first round of baby re-vaccinations yesterday. πŸ‘Ά I won’t be able to get the covid vaccine at this time though as it hasn’t been tested yet on cancer and transplant patients. So I’m depending on the herd immunity to kick in. πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„


Speaking of shots, now that I got my PICC line out, that means I no longer have to do my daily Lovenox injections! πŸ€— My belly is very happy! 



This also means that I’ll no longer have a need for home care nursing every week for labs and dressing changes. I’ll be forever grateful to the many kind nurses who visited my home throughout this past year and cheered me on throughout this journey. They have a special calling. Here’s a pic of me with one my awesome home care nurses, Dee.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””