Update #3

Since I've been home, I’ve been feeling steadily better but still had some fevers (which was strange since I’m on steroids). I found out last week that a test revealed that a latent virus (CMV) had reactivated in my body which explained my fevers and low blood counts. The level was crazy high through the roof. The reason is I have no immune system and the steroids suppresses it even more thus causing my CMV to have reactivated.


Today I had my follow-up visit at Perelman. My blood counts remain unchanged but my liver levels are half of what they were last week which is great news. I’ve been taking an oral antiviral  med for my CMV and re-checked my level during my visit today. We’re eagerly awaiting the result. If it’s not any lower, then they'll need to put a PICC line in again so I can get it intravenously 2x/day as the oral means would not be enough. Hoping this is not the case as I just got my PICC line out after having it in for a whole year. So many obstacles but praying God will work through these pills. In His hands.


These days I’ve been realizing my frailty and it's disheartening but I have to trust God is somehow working through all of this. Refining my faith. I'm learning to take it day by day with the strength and grace He provides... even for this one day. I have no clue what tomorrow holds but I know He is faithful no matter what.






Thank you for your continued prayers for Ryan. Here’s an update from his mom Kim:


A dear friend of mine sent me an early morning text this morning, and it completely expresses exactly how Ryan, Craig, and I feel right now.  She says, "Morning.  Notice that I left out the "Good" in my greeting.  I asked God what you could use this morning, and I felt that he wanted me to understand that sometimes it's just not good.  Sometimes you just want to yell, "It's not good at all, and it downright sucks!"  That's where we are at right now as Ryan is being prepared for yet another surgery early this afternoon for a blockage in his gall bladder.  Yesterday his liver enzymes were elevated.  They did an ultrasound and MRI to reveal that there definitely appears to be a blockage and the gall bladder is inflamed.  They do not want to wait because an infection could lead to sepsis again.  Because his system is so fragile, there are many risks involved, but the benefits outweigh the risks.  Please pray that they can open the blocked area with a stent, that there is not sign of infection, and that his liver can recover from this injury.  


On a positive note, his leg is healing.  The orthopedic doctors come in daily to check the dressing.  He is healing, although the process is so much slower for him.  It appears as if the hematoma is clotting.  The swelling has decreased and his pain is more manageable.  He actually stood yesterday and took a couple of steps with the help of a walker and four therapists!  He said it felt good to be upright! 


My friend's text this morning ended with these words, and this is what I am holding onto today..."Praying for a day that totally baffles the doctors and leads to only one explanation-God."


** Update on Ryan’s surgery:


A quick update. Ry is back in the room after surgery. There was not a blockage but a lot of sludge. They cleaned it all out. I haven't talked to the surgeon yet but the nurse said it went well. Hoping for an uneventful night!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””