Legacy


From Ryan’s mom:

Our family privately celebrated Ryan's life at one of his favorite restaurants today, Fireside Tavern.  A Celebration of Life will be held at our church, Millersville Community Church Hope Campus 242 Bender Rd, Millersville, PA 17551 on Saturday June 19th at 2:00.  All are welcome to attend to celebrate his incredible life and legacy. 

God placed this on my heart to share with our family today.  May you find comfort in Ryan's words too. 

When Ryan wanted to get his tattoo, he did his research.  So when he asked permission to get it, he proceeded to tell me his reasoning.  Even though I didn’t want him to get the tattoo, I told him that he was an adult and could do what he wanted.  In reflection, I look at the timing of the tattoo.  It was a month before he was diagnosed.  The tattoo’s meaning started out as a tribute to my mom and dad’s battle with cancer.  Hence, the cancer ribbon.  The tiger representing power and strength stemming from Ry’s favorite Bible verse, Philippians 4:13. “ I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”  His tattoo slowly morphed into his testimony.  Every doctor, nurse, and therapist that saw Ry in his 19 month battle would ask about the meaning behind the tattoo.  In his quiet humble demeanor, he was able to openly share the love he had for his family and the faith he had in God to pull him through his toughest battle, cancer.  The tattoo took on a whole new meaning as Ry fought fiercely and loved deeply.

          One other verse that Ry loved was one Jacob, his youth pastor, showed him during his treatment.  It is Isaiah 30:21.  It says, “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, This is the way, walk in it.”  Ry’s mantra has always been Trust the Process.  While we don’t completely understand God’s plan to take Ry to his heavenly home so early in his life, I can tell you some things that Ryan has taught Craig and me these past 19 months.  We hope these words help you find peace that surpasses all understanding.  Here’s Ry’s words right from him.  “Mom, stop worrying.  God already knows the day I am going to die.  There is nothing we can do to change it.  Just trust the process, Mom, and let God do the rest.  Mom, don’t be angry about me getting cancer.  It is what it is, and I have to accept it and battle it.  Mom, stop talking about cancer and live your life.  Take each day and be blessed for a day full of good health.  I would do anything to have a day like that again.  Mom, I am not worried for me.  I am sad for you and Dad and everyone I love because I’m leaving you all behind.  Mom, don’t be angry.  Laugh, be silly, and start living.  Let God do the rest.”

          Ry, how have you been able to teach more to me about life in the last 19 months than I have ever been able to teach you?  May we all learn Ry’s simple and humble life’s lessons.  Love others, find strength in God, trust in His process, and live each day because it is a gift. 

Here are two  video links that perfectly show the love he had for the game of basketball.  His smile says it all. 

https://www.fox43.com/amp/article/sports/smith-leaves-a-lasting-legacy/521-806af699-fd3f-4d7d-9bac-991eeb7567e0?__twitter_impression=true&s=01

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMvOZAgDL4o/?igshid=1otd7f27kbx56

The outpouring of love and support from our family, friends, everybody at Penn, teachers, church, community, and strangers continues to astound us.  Words cannot begin to express the gratitude we have for you all. 

Comments

  1. This is so heartbreaking to hear. I'm so sorry to hear of Ryan's passing. The only comfort is knowing that he's in heaven where there is no more pain... I can just imagine him playing basketball with Jesus. My bet is on Ryan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😭😭 Be a trusting child again, no matter what the process looks and feels like.... Thanks for sharing this glimpse into Ryan’s life, Joe. I guess every life story is an incarnation of what we really believe...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””