Test of patience


Great news... I continue to remain in remission! ๐Ÿค— Thankfully, my Philadelphia chromosome result came back still “undetectable” even while having had to hold off taking the med that treats it these past several months. I’ve recently been able to resume this med (which lowers blood counts) as my counts have steadily improved. I’ll need to take this life-saving med the next several years to help keep my cancer at bay. ๐Ÿ™

My recent immune panel level went up a little bit but still too low for vaccines, whether it’s covid or my baby ones. Truly a test of patience. I’m thankful though that most folks around us have been able to get vaccinated (including all of my kids!) We are a step closer to reaching herd immunity. ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿฆฌ My doc said that if my immune panel doesn’t improve to a certain level by September, then we will plan to proceed with the covid vaccine (though it might not be as effective) especially as kids will be returning to school and thus an increased risk of exposure. 


Though I still need to be careful of not getting sick cause of my low immune status, it’s been encouraging to see covid restrictions steadily being lifted and things slowly returning to “normal” once again. For example, it was great to see folks enjoying backyard BBQs and parties in our neighborhood this past week. And after an incredibly difficult school year, our district was able to hold a graduation ceremony and even a prom for the graduating seniors. 



This past Sunday, I was able to go to church for the first time in almost a year and a half. No handshakes or hugs... yet! At least for me. Though still socially-distanced and with masks donned ๐Ÿ˜ท, it was just so good to see old friends as well as their kids who have grown so much over this past covid season. It was a reminder of just how much time has gone by. 


Our church doesn’t own a building so we’ve always rented. Unfortunately after covid hit, we were unable to meet in our previous location. But after a lengthy search and actively waiting on God, He provided a new wonderful location in the heart of Bryn Mawr at just the right time. 


Through this all, we’ve realized that church is more than a building. It’s about the people. It’s not defined by a location or venue, but by the body. The people is what makes a church. And this is what I (and many of us) have missed so much this past year. All the more, it was so nice to see and be with my church family again. Zoom is good but it doesn’t compare to seeing folks in-person!




Mochi snatching something from the dinner table! ๐Ÿถ



We enjoyed having my brother’s family visit last week. It was the first time we had them at our home since covid and cancer hit. Tabby started another 3 month treatment cycle and found out that her blood counts are a little low so will have to hold off on chemo for a couple weeks. But she is looking great and continues to be doing well all things considered. Thanks for your continued prayers for Tabby and our family. 





Recently, we were also able to visit with my mom since she got vaccinated as well as attend a long-awaited covid-postponed family wedding! It’s been such a difficult year for all of us, but we’ll get through this together as we continue to press on with patience and faith. 







Comments

  1. So happy to hear you remain in remission, Joe! And glad to see you’ve been able to spend time with extended family. Continuing to pray for you and your family. Thanks so much for these updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly what a perseverance trek… YAY for continuing remission!! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear about continued remission! Will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! ๐Ÿ’ช

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! ๐Ÿ””