Navigating the storms of life

Last month, just as we were about to head off with our car all packed to the brim, we received a call that our long-awaited camping trip was cancelled. A bad storm had brought trees and power lines down which left the park with no electricity and running water. 

We were bummed at the news especially as it had been a difficult week and we were really looking forward to a getaway as a family. But through a generous family friend, God instead provided a stay at their beautiful beach house right on the bay. It was actually much more relaxing than camping... what we really needed!




The wise owner of the house had a different perspective on what happened than us. He said that it was actually “good timing” that the storm hit when it did. For if it had come while we were there, not only would it had been dangerous but our camping trip would have sadly not happened anyway and we would have had to pack up and leave! The difference between seeing the glass half full vs. half empty. πŸ₯ƒ


Storms were a timely illustration this past summer with the devastation we endured from tornadoes, hurricanes, and floods. As the intensity of storms and flash flooding have often come about so quickly and powerfully, my side-effects from my prolonged steroid taper have often come about in a similar manner. And likewise, my grumpy mood and responses have often been hurtful to those around me esp. my family. It’s been a season of ups and downs emotionally, with much more downs. But thankfully, recently I’ve felt a lifting of the seemingly dark cloud that I’d become accustomed to waking up with every morning. I attribute this to the Zoloft kicking in as well as the experiential wisdom of a few dear friends I’ve been receiving counsel from regularly. So appreciate your continued prayers as well which we’ve relied on during this battle.  As my cousin Bo told me, this is the side of cancer that we often don’t really get to see or hear about. 




I received my 2nd covid vaccine shot a few weeks ago and will be getting my 3rd shot next month. Side-effects were minimal. It’s good timing that a 3rd shot was recently approved by the FDA for immunocompromised folks including transplant recipients. It’s timely too esp. as kids have returned to school and with the recent surge of covid. 


As my dear nurse gave me my shot, she said that she’d pray for me. Unfortunately, my most recent immune panel result came back quite a bit lower than before but still just a tad over the threshold level needed to have a chance of being effective. Please pray for a positive antibody response.  πŸ™


Once I’m fully vaccinated, I can’t wait to get back to seeing folks especially my grandma who I haven’t been allowed to see since cancer and covid hit cause of restrictions at her nursing home. πŸ˜·

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Powerback! πŸ’ͺ

Perspective on the infamous “IV pole”

Ringing the bell! πŸ””